Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Smackdown with Trouble - Part 2

Continued from Part 1...

So, fast forward to 4 years later, and now these kids are teenagers. Well, not Baby Boy, but everyone else is.

Since that fateful day, the day I should have put all my boxes back into the moving truck and found an apartment, the day I realized I stepped in hell, the drama with Trouble has continued. Thankfully it is not drama between Soccer Boy and Trouble, who acted like nothing ever happened that day, but between Trouble and me. And to be fair, it also began the drama between Husband and me as well.

Trouble learned that day, that if he can tell the story good enough, that Husband will believe him, and Husband and I will end up in a fight, leaving Trouble scott free from consequences for his actions.

It was also the start of Trouble calling The Witch, complaining about me to The Witch and the The Witch coming to his rescue. Sometimes literally picking him up and taking him home to "protect" him from me.

Trouble has run away from our home a few times and called his mom from his "hiding place" to pick him up. He has punched a kid at school in the face. He threw an eraser at his teacher during class. He got into an argument with school staff over his lunch tray in the cafeteria. He threw pool furniture into the community swimming pool. He pushed Soccer Boy down on the patio and Soccer Boy got stitches. I know there is more but I can't think of anything else. He's been suspended twice this year from school and had to do community service, through school, twice, but I only wrote two of the four reasons above. But I'm sure you get the picture.

In November my mother-in-law came to visit and Trouble told her privately all about how mean I am to him. How I never allow him to use his phone, ipod, the TV, computer or to play any video games. That I yell at him all the time and he hates coming to visit. My mother-in-law (MIL) was very sad for Trouble. Trouble indicated that he wanted to spend more time with Husband alone and that I am in the way.

The next day after their talk, Trouble and my MIL were talking in the livingroom. I was upstairs with Husband getting ready for church and the other kids ("Perfect" and Soccer Boy) were in the game room. My MIL went upstairs to get ready as well, and Trouble used the opportunity to run away from home, again, and hide where we couldn't find him. Trouble was calling The Witch who was calling us. We ended in all of us going to church without Trouble and The Witch picking him up. (Keep in mind Trouble is now 14 and we have a spare key in the backyard so he was not locked out nor too young to be home alone.)

Later that night MIL confessed all the things that Trouble had told her and she apologized for believing him and thinking bad things about me. It became obvious to MIL that Trouble was a good story teller and that the things he said were untrue and/or exaggerated.

Husband called The Witch and told her that she was not allowed to pick up Trouble from our home anymore during his visitation. The Witch was mad and called her lawyer who told her that Husband was right. Trouble was angry that he couldn't call The Witch whenever he felt like it and have her rescue him.

The pot was about the boil over and I knew something bad was going to come of it but I had no idea it would be this bad.

Continues...


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I shouldn't have written it like that. Trouble was HIDING not missing, and he was calling The Witch who was calling us. He is 14, we have a key available in the backyard for him to come into the house, and so while we didn't know where he was, we went to church in order to stop the drama and because Soccer Boy was doing something special that day at church so we needed to be there on time for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Since that fateful day, the day I should have put all my boxes back into the moving truck and found an apartment, the day I realized I stepped in hell" you wrote.

    You can always step back out, find an apartment, and start over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husband and I have talked about that several times. But we both believe in marriage and it's really only in hindsite that I can see how badly things started out.

    If I could do it again, I would not have gotten married when we did. We had issues to resolve with Trouble, and it would have been better for the other kids if that would have happened first. To leave now would mean a complete disruption to 7 lives and while Husband and I would be fine, the kids would not. I take that seriously and walking away after more than 5 years is not even close to walking away after 1 day.

    ReplyDelete